A few software recommendations for scientists.
Browse the scienceabout.info's archive for software recommendations.
I have found 12 results for the term "software" in the entire database.
4. Columbia University - Department of ChemistryPrograms of Study
The programs of study in chemistry at Columbia are aimed at training new generations of scientists who will take leadership positions in research and teaching.
The emphasis of our graduate program is on education tailored to the unique needs of each of our students. Our department ranks among the best in the world, yet it is among the smallest, and consequently, our graduate students receive an unusual amount of interaction with and guidance from the faculty.
Columbia's bright and enthusiastic undergraduates come from all over the world, providing our graduate students -- also an international group -- with a stimulating and rewarding teaching experience. Graduate students also interact closely with the faculty who teach the undergraduate courses, and they often develop long-lasting relationships as a consequence of such collaborations.
The department prizes excellence in teaching by both its faculty and graduate students. Graduate students who have excelled in teaching are honored at a yearly awards banquet.
Joint Programs with Other Departments
Since many of our graduates go into research related to bioorganic or medicinal chemistry, either in the pharmaceutical industry or in independent academic positions, the Chemistry Department, in conjunction with the Department of Biological Sciences and of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, has training programs that provide graduate level courses and research in chemical approaches to contemporary problems in biology. Students take part in core courses that are taught jointly by both departments, laboratory rotations with Chemistry and Biology faculty, the Journal Club, and a mini-symposium.
The Departments of Chemistry and Physics jointly administer a Ph.D. program in Chemical Physics, for students whose interests lie in areas of research bordering both chemistry and physics.
The Department maintains a wide array of sophisticated instrumentation necessary for modern chemical research. Among department instruments are ten NMR spectrometers, including 600-MHz, 500-MHz, 400-MHz, and two 300-MHz instruments, one with solid-state capability. Our mass-spectrometry facility has three MALDI-TOF systems, an ESI Q-TOF instrument, an APCI/ESI LC/MS, and a 4-sector tandem spectrometer. Other department instruments include a spectropolarimeter, an FDCD instrument, an X-ray diffractometer with CCD imaging camera, and state-of-the-art IR, UV, fluorescence, Raman, and ESR spectrometers. In addition, the department has access to the Protein Chemistry Core Facility at Columbia's Medical School, which provides protein sequencing, amino acid analysis, and peptide and DNA synthesis services.
The Chemical Dynamics and Spectroscopy Facility in the department provides a collection of lasers, optical diagnostic equipment, vacuum equipment, and electronics for research in physical chemistry. Additional facilities for research in microelectronics, photochemistry, and superfast dynamic processes are housed in the Columbia Microelectronic Sciences Laboratory (Columbia Radiation Laboratory). At nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory, the National Synchrotron Light Source (NSLS) generates short-pulse optical radiation from 1 to 10,000 Angstroms for spectroscopy and photochemistry experiments. Work in nanoscience/nanotechnology is supported by several near-field optical microscopes, scanning tunneling microscopes, and atomic force microscopes.
Columbia's Materials Research Science and Engineering Center has a shared instrument facility equipped with a spectroscopic ellipsometer, an X-Ray diffractometer (for powder, small-angle and reflectivity measurements), an XPS/SIMS/ISS analysis system, and an atomic force microscope.
The department computing facility is a 100-MHz network of machines optimized for maximum computation capability and data throughput. Among these networked machines are 75 dual-processor Intel platforms, 9 Dell PowerEdge machines, and 10 SGI Origin 200 dual-processor systems. Our file server is a Sun SPARC Ultra 5 Model 333. It serves a 500-Gb RAID 5 storage array. There is also a 200-Gb RAID array available for processing large data sets. The department has 3 SGI Octane computers for viewing graphical output from molecular modeling programs such as Macromodel.. Other computational software available to researchers are MSI Insight II, Grasp, Jaguar, Titan, and Rasmol.
5. Harvard - Undergraduate Programs - Computer ScienceParticipate in research on software, graphics, artificial intelligence, networks, parallel and distributed systems, algorithms, and theory
THE ANSWERS TO TODAY'S BIG QUESTIONS - whether in engineering, physics, biology, or economics, inevitably have computation at their core.
Researchers and professionals increasingly need their own version of the search engine: a way to take a flood of information and organize and use it efficiently.
Computer science is of course about creating code and running software, but it takes more than clever keystrokes to go from an idea to an end product or solution. It takes teams of people.
It takes active collaboration. It takes reaching out to other fields. It takes management as well as technical savvy. In other words, individuals with imagination and leadership.
Our computer science curriculum is designed to offer students a great amount of flexibility-with time for related study and for outside opportunities, from sports to clubs to hobbies. You can readily combine your studies with other fields, including mathematics, physics, economics, psychology, and linguistics.
6. HeyMath! - Elementary, Middle and High School Math Concepts Explained VisuallyHeyMath! was founded in May 2000 by Nirmala Sankaran and Harsh Rajan on a worldview that there is no perfect education system. We're based in Chennai, India, and are privately funded. Contact our founders (founders at heymath.com)
We've made it our mission to create a flat world curriculum by diligently seeking out proven best practices from great teachers and discerning parents around the world. HeyMath! lessons are developed with advice from the University of Cambridge. Our highly capable Math editors then blend this collective wisdom into bite-sized animated and interactive explanations that provide concept clarification visually and help remove the fear of Math.
HeyMath! was recognized as one of the 25 most innovative companies in 2007 by Microsoft in a nation wide survey in India and was featured in NASSCOM's 100 most innovative software companies in India in 2006.
We were also invited by Intel Corporation to join their Ecosystem Alliance for the Intel Powered 'Classmate PC'.
7. IEEE Computer SocietyWith nearly 85,000 members, the IEEE Computer Society is the world's leading organization of computing professionals. Founded in 1946, and the largest of IEEE's 38 societies, the Computer Society is dedicated to advancing the theory and application of computing and information technology.
The Computer Society serves the information and career-development needs of today's computing researchers and professionals with books, conferences, conference publications, magazines, online courses, software development certifications, standards, and technical journals. The redesigned www.computer.org offers a rich repository of online content and tools, from Computing Now, which provides free articles and multimedia content, to the Build Your Career career-development site, and the e-Learning Campus, where members can access more than 3,000 online courses and 600 online books.
8. Learning Resources - iLearnsmartVision - Lead the world to a new era of learning
i-Learnsmart is an e-learning resources portal from White House Business Solutions (WHBS) that intends to make learning more interesting and engaging. It provides multimedia rich interactive learning content for K-12 and higher education students, and professionals through an e-learning platform that helps learners take up courses from anywhere, anytime and at any pace.
i-Learnsmart offers these learning content on software-as-a-Service model. So, the learners need not to download, install or maintain any software or hardware. Just by signing up with the required learning content, learners can access the content from anywhere and anytime. It is operating system and browser independent, so the learners can access the learning resources from any computer too.
9. Universitatea Alexandru Ioan Cuza Iasi - Facultatea de FizicaLa Facultatea de Fizică funcţionează un număr de 5 specializări: Fizică, Fizică informatică, Fizică medicală, Biofizică şi Fizică tehnologică.
Fiecare specializare se realizează prin pachetele de cursuri opţionale în ciclul I de studiu (licenţă), urmată de o aprofundare a specializării în cadrul ciclului II (masterat). Cei mai buni dintre masteranzi îşi pot desăvârşi pregătirea ştiinţifică urmând şi ciclul III de studii – doctorat.
În toate specializările se pune accentul pe studiul fizicii ca disciplină fundamentală, cunoştinţele dobândite urmând a fi aplicate în domenii interdisciplinare precum nanotehnologiile si stiinta materialelor (Fizică, Fizica tehnologică), medicină si biotehnologii (Fizică medicală, Biofizică), tehnologia informatiilor si comunicatiilor (Fizică informatică).
• Specializarea Fizică construieste competente absolventilor pentru inserarea profesională în institutii de cercetare, agentii nationale si unităti de productie.
• Specializarea Fizică tehnologică are ca obiectiv studii privind latura aplicativă a fizicii. Absolvenţii acestei specializări au posibilitatea să lucreze în proiectarea şi dezvoltarea tehnologică în ramuri de înaltă tehnicitate, în institute de cercetare şi în învăţământul superior.
• Specializarea Fizică medicală pregăteşte absolvenţi care să poată aplica conceptele şi metodele fizicii în tehnicile de diagnostic şi tratament al afecţiunilor umane, folosind mijloace moderne: tomografia computerizată, rezonanţa magnetică nucleară, termografia, radiografia digitală, radio-imunologie, cardiologie nucleară, radioterapia cu energii înalte, chirurgia cu fascicule laser. Absolvenţii acestei specializări pot lucra în clinici şi spitale, dar şi în cercetarea ştiinţifică.
• Biofizica este o specializare care pregăteste absolventii să aplice cunoştinţele de fizică în domeniul biologiei si bitehnologiei. Biofizica este unul dintre domeniile ştiinţelor naturii cele mai dinamice şi mai de viitor. Absolvenţii acestei specializări pot lucra în institute de cercetare ştiinţifică, în colective formate din fizicieni, biologi, chimişti, medici, ingineri.
• Specializarea Fizică informatică se adresează tinerilor pasionaţi de fizică, care doresc sa aplice informatica în studiul acesteia. În acelaşi timp, absolvenţii pot deveni specialişti în domeniul tehnologiei informaţiei, prelucrării de date, software ştiinţific şi educaţional, multimedia etc. De asemenea pot lucra în domeniul bancar sau în servicii publice.
Planurile de învăţământ ale programului de studii au o structură flexibilă astfel încât studenţii au posibilitatea de a se transfera de la o specializare la alta, de a urma concomitent sau consecutiv două ori mai multe specializări. Domeniile în care pot lucra absolvenţii nu sunt delimitate restrictiv.
Absolvenţii Facultătii de Fizică de la toate specializările pot fi încadraţi şi în învăţământul preuniversitar gimnazial dacă urmează modulul psiho-pedagogic (psihologie, pedagogie, metodica predării fizicii, practică pedagogică). Pentru a profesa în învătământul liceal absolventii trebuie să urmeze o specializare de masterat si modulul II oferit de Departamentul de Pregătire a Personalului Didactic (D.P.P.D).
10. Universitatea Alexandru Ioan Cuza Iasi - Facultatea de InformaticaFacultatea noastră oferă specializare în Informatică, studii de 3 ani pentru licenţiere. La nivel de master, sunt disponibile cinci programe de tip master:
- Sisteme Distribuite
- Inginerie software
- Optimizare Computaţională
- Lingvistică Computaţională
- Securitatea Informatiei
<Previous 1 2 Next>